On style, creativity and all things beautuful

Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Watercolor Spring Dress


I love silk chiffon dresses and I already made a few in the past. Working with this noble and fine material is always a special treat for me. So after completing my two fall-winter projects – long coats in heavy and rustic wools – I felt it was time for something light and flowy.

После двух пальто из шерстяных тканей и зимнего периода затишья мне хотелось сшить что-то легкое... Фасон на новое шифоное платье я присматривала уже давно. И эта модель показалась мне новой и достаточно интересной. 




The model of this dress from BurdaStyle 11/2016 (#122B) was simply irresistible in red. But I had this silk chiffon in silvery grey with a vibrant watercolor print. I loved just gazing at that print and thought that this fabric deserved to be framed.  I might reproduce this colorful print on canvas one day but as to this cut fabric, this month it was finally put to good use. 

Платье конечно же смотрится сногсшибательно в красном, но этот серебристо-серый шелковый шифон с акварельными брызгами уже давно просился в дело и его яркая палитра всегда доставляла мне удовольствие при одном взгляде на него.




The model of the dress was somewhat new to me: it was the first time I made raglan shoulder line in a fine material and went for lots of horizontal pleats on the waist line. But it was fun to try new things and the dress turned out exactly how I wanted it to be: light and feminine.

Совершенно новым было для меня попробовать рукав реглан в тонкой ткани и горизонтальную сборку на поясе, но я рада было попробовать на себя и такой фасон. В целом платье получилось таким, каким я его себе представляла.



Pleated belt in the front / Сборка на поясе впереди

Gathered pleats on the sides of the belt / Сборка на боковых швах пояса 


Photo Credit: @f_bristoche

As to the technical aspects of making the dress, I used the biased satin ribbon instead of facing for its neckline. Instead of zigzag stitching, I finished the hem of the dress with the “baby hem” technique. I find that the fabric was too thin for the narrow zigzag stitch and broad zigzag stitch was too loose and did not look nice. And “baby hem” always looks clean and is ideal for fine fabrics. My dress is 2 cm shorter than the pattern. For size 38 I used about 2 m of fabric. Also, due to the lightness of fabric, I wear the dress with the fond de robe that I made for my Boho Autumn Dress.


В своем варианте вместо обтачки я обработала горловину косой бейкой из сатина в тон платья. Мое платье короче  на 2 сантиметра. Подол платья я обработала «московским швом» вместо предложенной строчки зигзагом. Ткань оказалась слишком тонкой для частого зигзага, а широкий зигзаг смотрится не так хорошо на легких материалах. На платье 38 размера я использовала около 2 метров ткани. Это платье я ношу с нижним платьем-слипом, которое шила в дополнение к своему бохо-платью.




Wishing you the new spring season full of color!
And Happy Sewing!

Желаю вам красочных идей и легкого шитья к новому весеннему сезону!




4 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful dress! the fabric is amazing. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Camélia! So nice to hear an opinion of a fellow sewing blogger! ))

      Delete
  2. So gorgeously feminine and such pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! ) Nice to hear it from you! I was experimenting with the model, and now really appreciate opinion of fellow dressmakers.))

      Delete